Monday, January 25, 2016

The Fade Out- Process

As the Fade Out finished a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd share the process for one of the pages...



First, I get the script from Ed and make a thumbnail sketch in my sketchbook. I'm only interested in storytelling here, not in doing a nice drawing. There's enough information here for me to shoot any photo ref and search out any other ref I'll need.

Then I switch to working on my Cintiq using Manga Studio, and start pencilling. I usually have my ref photos on another monitor and sketch from them freehand, but for the final panel here I dropped my photo ref into the page, along with a background in the first panel, to make sure I get a more accurate finished drawing later.

Then, on another layer I ink the pencils with a couple of Ray Frenden's Manga Studio brushes...

...And then I draw in some grey tones on another layer to finish up the page.

The flattened page is then sent to Bettie to colour up in Photoshop.

I add the colour file to the lettering and panel borders I've made previously in Illustrator and then the page is finished...










7 comments:

swyattart said...

Great!

Facundo Ezequiel said...

Wonderful, I was waiting to see this!

William Bourassa Jr. said...

Amazing stuff, this was a gorgeous series. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What cintiq do you use

Sean Phillips said...

An old 21 inch. Hoping to upgrade this year.

Unknown said...

I just bought a Pentel pocket brush. I’ve been using the Pitt pens a while. I’m hoping to get steady handed enough to one day be consistent with a brush and sip pen. What’s your opinion on the Rotring artpen

Sean Phillips said...

Never used one. On paper I use Pitt pens and brush pens.